Your first hit is free. If you want to try Star Citizen out before spunking your life savings on an imaginary ship, Cloud Imperium are offering a Free Fly pass for every player for the next week.
Space sims are making a huge comeback, so why not try out everything in our list of the best space games on PC.
The Free Fly pass grants full access to Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 which includes a condensed version of Star Citizen’s persistent universe – with multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more – its Arena Commander dogfighting mode, and the Social Module that shows off one of the many landing zones of the final game; a place to interact and chill with other players.
We have an update incoming today. The galactic servers will go offline at 11AM GMT and will return within the hour (UPDATE: We aim to bring the servers back online at 12.30GMT – thanks!). Below are the patch notes to quench your changelog fever.
- Fix for crash when approaching some settlements (AZRAEL – SEARLE PORT)
- Fixed a crash in drone component
- Fix for crash during outfitting
- Added guards for a door manager related crash
- Fixed Mine/Missile malfunction causing the client to crash
- Added guards to help prevent a Capital Ship related crash
- Ensure cargo is transferred when re-buying a ship from an orphaned SRV
- Limit Galnet to only displaying recent articles in the game
- Fix Darnielle’s Progress in the Maia system
- Fix some names in local trading report news articles.
- Stop requiring the Phekda permit to travel to that starsystem
- Rank missions should no longer instantly fail for no apparent reason
- Ammo store shouldn’t show drones as purchasable if there is no stock
- Galaxy map now remembers the previous Cargo Mass slider setting, unless enough real cargo is added to the ship to exceed the slider setting
- Don’t replot the current route just because the Galaxy Map is opened. Fixes the route being forgotten sometimes if viewing the galaxy map during FSD charge, and helps to avoid forgetting the in-system target at the end of the route
- The SRV is now refuelled when it docks at a port
- Fixed an issue when deploying the buggy to a garage in a port, the buggy started slightly below the ground.
- Fix Imperial Cutter schematic
Client: Text Display
- Translations updated.
- Various text fixes.
- Fix bug when determining network connection MTU causing assorted player-to-player connection problems.
- Fix for network object ID exhaustion.
- Fixed some missing Powerplay translations.
Server Side Fixes
- Fixed some metadata mismatches causing server errors.
- Fixed a server crash if a star system is being accessed while being deleted.
- Various server performance and reliability improvements
We will be taking the servers offline soon to apply update 2.0.03. The downtime for this update should take no more than 30 minutes. As always, we hope to come in under that time. The servers will go offline at 11AM UK, 6AM Eastern US time.
Sit back, relax, read the patch notes, and think about the socks.
- Don’t crash if an invalid preset is selected in bindings.
- Fixed a crash in trail rendering.
- Prevent a crash if closing bulletin board while the page is updating.
- Fixed a prospecting drone crash.
- Fixed a render crash with asteroid cluster.
- Fixed a crash from NPC launching.
- Zooming into a discovered planet surface map and zooming out will show all unknown planets – fixed.
- Corrected an issue when accumulating replication on SRVs so that we don’t halt network replications if the owner is currently in the classified camera.
- Shouldn’t have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship.
- Fixed a network error when shutting down drones.
- Rebalanced the ice field lighting in the CQC map.
- Fix for at least one cause for broken materials on Radeon HD 5000/6000 GPU’s.
- Fix skipping in ident video.
- Plus sign fixed for German language.
- When purchasing exploration data, Universal Cartographics is now able to include details on all bodies in a system.
- Fixed a number of star systems with stuck controlling minor factions.
- Addition of ‘Alternate Download’ option for users with slow download speeds.
- Fix for users unable to launch the 32-bit ED client.
- Fix for some new customers not seeing the redeem product prompt.
- Minor background update when launcher is booted via Steam.